US National Fingerstyle Champion Chris Proctor
Steel String Guitar For the New World
7:00 PM, Thursday, November 6, 2014
Purchase your tickets Now! On-line from The Martin Hotel
One reviewer recently tried to capture the essence of Chris Proctor’s music: “What to call his unique melange of styles? There’s an aspect of Americana in the echoes of Appalachian and old-timey styles that are apparent in just about every track, but there are also elements of jazz, Celtic folk, and a dash of blues in here somewhere. What Proctor does is create guitar music that reflects the whole heritage of the instrument and still has his own distinct stamp — a tall order, but he’s up to the job”
Critics also call his guitar playing “breathtaking,” “haunting,” and “rich.” Guitar magazines describe his compositions as “spectacular,” “elegant,” and “exquisite,” and praise his twelve-string work as “revelatory.” Media reviewers trace the roots of his style to folk, jazz, pop, and classical music, categorize his playing as “Baroque Folk,” “New World Steel String,” “Solo Guitar Orchestra,” “Instrumental Americana,” and compare him to Leo Kottke and Michael Hedges.
These luminous and diverse quotes reveal the breadth and depth of Chris Proctor’s music- his solo, 6 and 12-string guitar concerts and recordings. Two additional comments typify the first-time listener’s reaction: “Wow- I didn’t know that acoustic guitars could sound like that,” and, ” It seems as if there are three guitarists up there on stage, not just one.”
Here’s more of what critics, listeners, presenters and concert audiences say about Chris Proctor:
- He is an acclaimed composer of original music and a wonderful arranger for the 6 and 12-string guitars.
- He is a performer with a gift for communicating the tremendous variety, vitality, and accessibility of his music.
- His amazing variety of guitar sounds and textures, and the rich tapestry of bass, melody, and inner voices, bring an orchestral quality to his music that surprises and delights audiences who haven’t heard him before.
- His compositions and arrangements shine with folk, jazz, pop, classical, and ethnic influences.
- He is a superlative workshop, master class and residency/outreach leader, author of numerous instructional articles in the guitar press, and producer of two world-class instructional videos for 6 and 12-string players.
Ten CDs on Flying Fish, Windham Hill, Rounder and Sugarhouse Records, his victory in the US National Fingerstyle Championship, his books, DVD’s, videos, magazine articles, and endorsements all testify to Chris’s standing as one of the elite solo guitar composers, arrangers, and performers of the day.